Gender inequality is a reality in communities around the world. Far too often, girls and women face barriers that prevent them from reaching their full potential. By investing in girls and women – protecting their rights to education, healthcare, safety and so much more – we can empower millions to create a brighter future, not only for themselves, but for everyone around them!
That’s right – investing in the education, health and potential of girls and women doesn’t just benefit them, but their families, communities and entire countries too. This is the ripple effect of empowering girls and women.
Invest in their education
Education is the foundation for success in so many facets of life. With education comes empowerment. Unfortunately, more than 62 million girls are denied their right to learn every day. Girls face unique barriers that prevent them from going to school, like child marriage, domestic duties, violence at school, discrimination, and even the lack of private girls’-only toilets.
And yet, when girls receive an education, they gain the knowledge, skills and opportunities to lift themselves, and everyone around them out of poverty. Studies have shown:
- With an education, girls are less likely to marry early and will have fewer yet healthier children in the future
- For every extra year a girl stays in school, her future income can increase by 10 to 20%
- If all women completed primary education, there would be 66% fewer maternal deaths
When girls and women are armed with knowledge, they are better equipped to make informed decisions, speak up for their rights, and contribute to the well-being of their families and communities.
Invest in health
Girls and women have unique health needs that unfortunately go unaddressed or unrecognized in many parts of the world. But, ensuring they have access to the healthcare and resources they need will in turn help them care for and better support their children, families and communities.
- 99% of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries. With access to trained health professionals and healthcare facilities, most of these deaths can be prevented
- Having sanitary and private places to go is critical to the health of a community – preventing the spread of diseases like diarrhea – but for girls and women, it’s also a matter of safety and dignity
SEE ALSO: Keeping mothers and their newborns alive
Invest in skills & potential
We can’t move forward if half the world’s population is held back from reaching their full potential. When girls and women have equal opportunities to learn, gain skills and obtain work, then families, communities and economies thrive.
- Women invest more of their income back into their families and communities – with many experts reporting up to 90%
Invest in girls, change the world
Give girls and women across the globe access to the resources, opportunities and support they need to thrive, and everyone around them will benefit too! Check out these 11 #GiftsofHope that unleash the power and potential of girls and women.